Discord is a free text, voice, and video chat medium. The application can be used from within the web browser or downloaded, with the link for both being on the homepage of its website: discord.com. It is available for several operating systems, and can be accessed via a web-app on certain browsers, which can be seen in the table below.
To receive an invite to The Garry's Mod Wiki Discord, simply follow this link: discord.gg/Fqw36MpDMs.
Supported operating systems[edit source]
|Windows||Windows 7 SP1&2, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10|
|macOS||OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.11 El Capitan, macOS 10.12 Sierra, 10.14 Mojave|
|Android||Android 4.1 (Jellybean), Android 4.4/4.5 (KitKat), Android 5.0/5.1 (Lollipop), Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), Android 7.0/7.1 (Nougat), Android 8.0 (Oreo)|
|iOS||iOS 8.1, iOS 9, iOS 10, iOS 11, iOS 12|
|Linux OS||Arch Linux, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, OpenEmbedded/Yocto, openSUSE, OpenWrt, Ubuntu|
|Browser||Google Chrome-, Firefox-, and Opera-based browsers, Edge 17+|
The server is open to all, and it can be used to discuss the game, the wiki, or anything else. We're a laid-back community that tries not to take ourselves or anything too seriously, so come hang out with us!
- Discussion of activities that break the Rules of Steam is not permitted.
- Relevant wiki policies apply, such as:
- User treatment policy (UTP): be nice
- Don't feed the trolls (DFTT/TROLL)
- Gaming the system (GAME/GTS): don't play rules against each other to circumvent the spirit of them
- Status and opinion-weight (STATUS): your role or wiki status doesn't make your opinions any more or less valid
- Use common sense (UCS)
- All players who are using the chat are to be treated fairly and equally and are expected to abide by the chat rules, regardless of their role or status on the wiki.
- Profanity is allowed in the chat; however, use of derogatory or discriminatory language and use of profanity in personal attacks targeted at other chat users is not acceptable. Additionally, you may be asked to stop if your use of profanity is excessive.
- No spamming or advertising.
- Players should keep conversations mature and cool-headed. Please be respectful of others when discussing controversial topics such as politics and religion and remember that the chat is made up of people from a range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Please keep discussion on topic for the channel that you are using. There is a list of channels and their usage below.
- If another user asks you to stop a discussion – e.g., because it is becoming offensive/inflammatory or making them uncomfortable – then please do so. Players may @ admin(s) or contact an admin via DM to ask them to intervene if they are uncomfortable with a discussion that is taking place in the chat.
Dealing with rule breakers[edit source]
- Users who break the rules may be given one or more warnings at the discretion of an admin.
- Offending users may have their roles removed (if they have any), their ability to use text and/or voice chat in any/all channels removed, or may outright banned from the server temporarily or permanently, at the discretion of the administrators.
- More serious breaches of the rules or ignoring warnings may result in a user being kicked or banned from the chat.
- If you believe a user has behaved inappropriately without being punished, contact a clan admin, providing links to or screenshots of incidents if possible.
- Players who are banned are unable to rejoin the server. See here for a list of users who are currently banned from Discord.
- If you are currently banned and wish to appeal your ban, please see the instructions here.
Channels may be renamed, added, or removed at any time. This list is accurate as of 10 March 2021 (UTC).
#welcome- Everyone that uses the invitation link above arrives here. Rule information is posted here, and only administrators can post. Players can also react to the message with the thumbs up emote to grant the "notifs-events" role. This will grant notifications of upcoming Events Team events.
#announcements- Any important announcements related to the Wiki are posted here. This is an Announcement Channel that you can easily add as a webhook to other servers, if you wish.
#general- Open forum for any type of discussion.
#gmod- Open forum for discussion related to Garry's Mod.
#wiki- This channel serves as a hub to discuss changes to Garry's Mod Wiki, especially the latest game update and documenting it.
#meta-discussion- Open forum for discussion related to meta topics, such as policies and threads.
#wiki-tech- Open forum for discussion related to anything back end related, such as calculators, Lua, SMW, DPL, JS, CSS, etc.
#update-history- Open forum for discussion of the update history project.
#facepunch-blog-archiving- Open forum for discussion on the archival project for Facepunch's development articles.
#socialfeed- For discussing and managing the Wiki's social feed. See pins for more info.
#recent-changes- Garry's Mod Wiki bot reports Garry's Mod Wiki Recent Changes here.
#bots- This channel is the only channel where SteamInfo and most other bots can speak. See section below for more.
#⚠️memes- Channel is subject to constant name-changing.
#other-games- A place to talk about games outside of Garry's Mod to avoid clogging the general or memes channel.
#voice-txt- Use this channel to post links and/or talk text to the voice channel(s).
#generalbut for voice.
lfg- Used for LFG.
events- Used for any Wiki-hosted events.
afk- You are automatically moved here after 15 minutes of inactivity. No one can talk. You can move yourself out when you're active again.
Much like channels, roles may be renamed on the fly. Currently, they are generally given out ad hoc, so if you feel you need one, talk to one of the
@wiki bureaucrats or
Two-factor authentication can be used on Discord. It is required to be enabled on your account to use most permissions of
@wiki bureaucrats and
@wiki admins, though it is recommended that everyone enable it.
@wiki bureaucrats- Claimable by Garry's Mod Wiki bureaucrats. Can manage channels. Can be @-mentioned.
@wiki admins- Can manage users and permissions. Claimable by Garry's Mod Wiki administrators. Can be @-mentioned.
@server techs- Given to system administrators in case of any server-related issues. Can be @-mentioned.
@events team- Can manage the
#wiki-eventschannel. Claimable by Events Team members. Can be @-mentioned.
@facepunch- Verified Facepunch employees. If you are a Facepunch employee and join our server, let an admin know and they can sort out verification.
@social curator- Given to users that help keep the Garry's Mod Wiki social feed updated.
@acnh nerds- Given to any users upon request. Used for Animal Crossing: New Horizons related discussion or news. Can be @-mentioned.
@league nerds- Given to any users upon request. Used for League of Legends related discussion or news. Can be @-mentioned.
@pogo nerds- Given to any users upon request. Used for Pokémon Go related discussion or news. Can be @-mentioned.
@mungus nerds- Given to any users upon request. Used for Among Us related discussion. Can be @-mentioned.
@meeeeow- Given to any users upon request. Used for cat pictures. Can be @-mentioned.
@wooooof- Given to any users upon request. Used for dog pictures. Can be @-mentioned.
@skribbl- Given to any users upon request. Used for when a skribbl.io game is organised. Can be @-mentioned.
@mush-homies- Given to any users upon request. Used for mushroom pictures and mushroom-related discussions. Can be @-mentioned.
@everyone- All users connected to the server. Can only be @-mentioned by bureaucrats.
@joined- All users connected to the server, role provided by Dyno.
@SteamInfo- Provides various Steam related commands. Use !help for info. Ran by ElijahPepe. May only speak in the designated #bots channel.
@ToolgunBot- Link to the Wiki with ease using markup. Type t!help for a list of commands. Ran by ElijahPepe. Basic usage: type
[[Page to link too]]to link to a wiki page (default wiki based on channel).
@Dyno- Server management bot.
Garry's Mod Botis a webhook bot which feeds Special:RecentChanges into the #recent-changes channel for easy monitoring. Ran by ElijahPepe.