New mountable game, sound effects volume slider to help with voice chat volume and more.
This update adds a new mountable game to Garry's Mod - "G String". We are aware that people are asking for more mountable games including certain specific games. We require explicit permission for the target game's developer/publisher to make their game available for mounting in Garry's Mod. The game also has to run on the Source Engine. If a game you wish to be included in the mountable games list is not currently in it, it means we don't have that permission, or it's not a Source Engine game.
This update also adds a separate volume slider for Sound Effects. The purpose of this is to address the "low voice chat volume" people have been reporting. What you want to do is set the "Game Volume" slider to maximum, as it affects all the sounds including voice chat. Then you want to set the new "Sound effect volume" and the "Music volume" sliders to the desired position.. (The music slider affects the music from Half-Life 2 campaigns) Doing this will make the voice chat as loud as the microphones of the speaking players are, i.e. the voice chat volume will no longer be reduced by the overall game volume.
The new addon size readout will help decide what to install and what to avoid and what to keep right while in-game.
As usual this update also brings plethora of new features and fixes for players and modders alike. You will find the entire change list for this update below.
- Added “G String” game mounting support
- Added a confirmation window when a server tries to force connect a player to a different server
- Added "Followed" and "Favorites" categories to dupes, saves and demos sections of main menu and the spawn menu
- The map, gamemode & server name of the server you are joining is now shown on the default loading screen. It also now goes dark mode based on player’s local time
- Added "Disable Sprays" checkbox to the Options menu
- Servers that failed to respond to the info/ping requests are now shown in the server browser under "Unreachable Servers" section
- Added "Disconnect" button to the "open URL" and "connect to a server" confirmation dialogs
- You can now CTRL+A in console (or in any other RichText GUI element such as default chat window) to select all text
- Added "Size" display to every addon in the Addons menu
- Added weapon slot 7, 8, 9 and 0 binds to Options menu as some mods/gamemode might be using more than 6 weapon slots
- Added map icons for new maps of Team Fortress 2, CS:GO and Fistful of Frags
- Added sound effect slider to Audio Options menu. This affects all sounds except for voice chat and music, both of which have their own sliders. This allows players to configure voice chat volume separately from the sound effects volume, making the voice chat louder if master ("Game") volume is set to maximum.
- Fixed graphical glitches on Portal 2 maps when using flashlight (by overwriting skybox materials to have $ignorez set to 1)
- Fixed certain lights on Portal 2 maps looking incorrect (Refract shader's $localrefract workaround)
- Fixed Workshop addons not being able to update when joining a server after they have been already loaded by the game
- Sprays now work in singleplayer
- Fixed sprays not working for player slots 64-128
- Fixed not being able to see updated spray image of a player that rejoins the server after changing their spray image until the game is restarted (Also fixes their old spray image becoming error texture)
- Fixed Half-Life: Source scientists screaming non-stop after getting damaged
- Fixed an issue with Vehicle duplication when there is no associated player (Community Contribution)
- Fixed too many NPCs in a squad making new NPCs unable to shoot, which used to happen when spawning over 16 NPCs of the same type through the Spawnmenu at the same time
- Fixed Gravity Gun sounds being audible only for its owner
- Fixed weapons sometimes trying to play their sounds from underground, resulting them in not playing any sounds
- Fixed the broken Gunship patrol pathing code from Half-Life 2 (without hl2_episodic 1) reaching infinite loops and hanging the game
- Fixed default spawnlists counting as user config, which made them not restore due to a Steam bug if they are deleted
- Fixed tp_coastal from Fistful of Frags crashing on map load
- Fixed Faceposer's UI getting filled with 7px tall blank panels when switching Faceposer targets
- Throwing the last HL2 grenade now maintains previous/last weapon for gravity gun grenade throws
- Limit maximum force for Thruster tool to 1e10 (from 1e35) to reduce crashing potential
- Manually installed .gma addons now display their internal title in the Addons menu, not the filename
- "sv_skyname" now applies changes live, without needing a map restart
- “sv_gravity” now updates the physics gravity without needing a map restart
- FOV in Jeep (and its reskins by addons) now matches player configuration in Options menu (Defaulted r_jeepFOV to 0 so it uses player's desired FOV)
- Fixed r_jeepFOV not updating properly when re-entering a vehicle
- Made the two Portal 2 DLCs also mount with Portal 2
- ERROR spawnicons are no longer saved to disk when rendering them in the Spawnicon Editor, unless of course we are editing the icon of models/error.mdl itself
- Sandbox Camera entity now also uses "noclip"/first person drive type, like Lamp
- Removed the strange 10 unit distance 3rd person view from "noclip" drive type, now is true first person
- Crouch and Jump buttons now have an effect in "noclip" and "sandbox" drive types (Hold C > Right click on entity > Drive), similar to normal player noclip
- Ported more episodic behavior for the Gravity Gun - including being able to pick up props behind grate-type props
- Removed max values from steam stats, they will now continue to increase after completing their associated achievements
- Spawnmenu handles screen resolution changes better while on a map
- Pressing CTRL while a RichText GUI element is focused will no longer reset selection, and neither will copying the text
- Moved spawnicon queue to a convar (spawnicon_queue) which defaults to 0, and made it target 10fps not 30 when enabled
- NPCs can now open brush doors if it’s in their way, unless the door specifically disables this
- Added a replacement for a missing shader which fixes a bunch of Left 4 Dead 2 maps having wireframe textures in the skyboxes
- Adjusted color of water on Left 4 Dead 2 maps
- Added fixed versions of nuke_clouds materials for some CS:GO map skyboxes
- Improved default Face Poser presets to not stretch faces across the whole map
- Preset editor properly handles different convar capitalization (now forces lowercase) and handles cases where the preset contains less convars than the tool itself
- Some Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 maps crash on map load. There is a workaround for it on the "dev" beta version of Garry's Mod, but it needs extensive testing before it can be released to public.